BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Default PRguy's RFL Log

A little bit about me:

My name is Hector and my whole life I have been the fat kid. Being Puertorican, many meals growing up consisted of a lot of white rice, fried plantains, pork, chicken, beef, etc. etc. Basically really good food. My sophmore year in high school I blew out my PCL playing football. After my injury is when the weight started to climb. Fast forward to today. The wake up call came shortly after getting married this year. My wife and I have decided that we want to start a family. I want to be active in my child's life instead of just sitting on my butt making excuses to why my overweight self can't play with my child. Two months ago I started on my journey to a healthier self. I changed my eating habits and began weight training and doing cardio. After hitting a plateau, I decided to do something different. After a lot of reading and searching on different programs, I came across Lyle's webpage. After reading about the different books that Lyle has, I decided the one that I was going to do is RFL. My goal with RFL is lose as much fat as I can in 12 weeks and transition into a more moderate diet.

Starting info:

Category 3
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 318 lbs
Bodyfat: 40% (estimated with WeightWatchers weight and BF scale)

Required protein intake: 191 grams

Supplements taken: Fish oil pills, calcium, magnesium, potassium, multivitamin

Have not purchased the EC stack yet, so I used Hydroxycut until I am able to order EC stack online.

(I have attached pictures for my starting point.)

Day 1 Protein/Carb/Fat/Calorie

Meal 1 5:30AM
1 cup egg whites 24/4/0/120
4 slices oven roasted turkey deli meat 10/3/1.5/60
1/4 cup fat free shredded cheese 9/2/0/45

Total 43/9/1.5/225

Comments: Good start to the day. Need to see about lowering carbs.

Meal 2 8:30AM
1/2 cup cottage cheese 15/5/0/80
1 scoop whey 22/6/1.5/125

Total 37/11/1.5/20

Comments: Will not eat this again. Not just cause of the carbs, but I it tasted pretty horrible. Almost threw up a couple of times! :P

Meal 3 12:00PM
2 chicken breast fillets 40/4/5/220
3 cups of spring mix salad 2/3/0/20
1 Tbsp fat free vinaigrette 0/1/0/0

Total 42/8/5/240

Comments: Very filling and keep me full. Found vinaigrette dressing in diabetic food section of grocery store.

1:30PM - Light walking for 30 minutes

Meal 4 3:30PM
5 oz Tuna 35/0/2.5/70
1 tsp mustard 0/0/0/0
1 individual pack frozen green beans 1/6/0/30

Total 36/6/2.5/100

Comments: Surprisingly good. Definitely will include this in my meal ideas.

Meal 5 - 5:30PM
8 oz Chicken breast 42/0/6/240
1 cup sliced zucchini (baked) 1/4/0/18

Total 43/4/6/258

Comments: Seasoned chicken with fajita seasoning and adobo. Seasoned zucchini with lemon pepper. Very good.

Grand Total 201/38/16.5/1028

Day 1 thoughts: Overall first day went great. Drank over 3 liters of water throughout the day. I think I need to focus more on getting the carbs down on some of the meals. Only felt hungry once today and that was after the cottage cheese and protein powder debacle.

I am open to any and all suggestions on my plan so far.

Thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFL front 12-15.JPG (26.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg RFL side 12-15.JPG (25.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg RFL back 12-15.JPG (33.4 KB, 38 views)
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Sounds like you have really thought this through. You are measuring/tracking and then reflecting which I think is beneficial.

Good luck, stick with it and you will be amazed at the results.
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Awesome Hector! Welcome!

I wish you all the best with the diet. It's great that you've already been working at the weightloss for a couple months. It definitely makes the diet a bit easier to maintain.

Looking forward to reading about your progress.
Unread 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Default Day 2

Thanks for the kind words JC and Gwena! I will definitely be keeping anyone interested updated on my progress. I feel that doing so makes me not only have to answer to myself, but those keeping up with my progress.

Here we go with Day 2!

I was really tempted this morning to hop on the scale to see what weight loss (if any) that I had, but I stopped myself. I figured it would be best to weigh myself once a week. I have also decided that I will take pictures again at the 4 week mark. I think by doing this, it will help me better gauge the changes in my body. Today is the first day of weight training on the diet. I was currently doing a 3 day upper/lower split (Body for Life weight training program), so I decided to stick with that split. However, I decided to do the sets and reps that Lyle suggested in the RFL book. So hear is the breakdown for day 2:

Day 2 Protein/Carb/Fat/Calories

1 tbsp salsa 0/1/0/5

Total 36/7/0/170

Comments: Decided to not add deli meat this morning. Able to drop 55 calories and 2 grams of carbs. Also used a 1/2 teaspoon of light salt to up the sodium and potassium intake.

4 oz chicken breast 22/0/3/120
1 packet frozen green beans 1/6/0/30

Total 23/6/3/150

Comments: After the torture I endured yesterday eating the cottage cheese/protein powder mixture, I had to find something else to eat. I decided to eat the leftover chicken breast from last night with green beans. Definitely much better!

Meal 3 12:30PM

Total 51/9/5/285

Comments: Decided to add shredded cheese to the salad to add another serving of dairy. Turned out better than I expected without using any dressing.

1:30PM - Weight Training (upper)

Dumbbell Bench Press 3x10 55lbs
Lat Pulldown 3x10 90lbs
Dumbbell Military Press 3x10 30lbs
Preacher Curls 3x10 45lbs
Rope Tricep Pushdown 3x10 40lbs

20 minutes of light walking

Comments: Was going to have 5g of carbs before my workout to prevent any possible fatigue as some have mentioned. Decided not to since I had a meal an hour before. Felt good throughout the work and not once did I feel fatigued. May up the weight on bench and military press. Ready for leg day on Friday!

Postworkout shake 2:15PM
1 scoop protein powder in water 22/6/1.5/125

Comment: Decided to have this as my postworkout meal. All I had was 100% Whey, so I used it. I am looking into getting the milk protein isolate from Trueprotein or get the Isopure Zerocarb for my postworkout shake. Any suggestions?

Meal 4 3:30PM
5 oz Tuna 35/0/2.5/70
1 tbsp salsas 0/1/0/5
1 individual pack frozen broccoli 1/4/0/30

Total 36/5/2.5/100

Comments: Decided to keep this meal since I needed another 60 grams of protein to reach my 191g of protein for the day.

1 cup sliced zucchini (baked) 1/4/0/18

Total 43/4/6/258

Comments: Haven't had this meal yet, but I wanted to get this log done so I can spend time with my wife tonight. Will season chicken with light salt and Emeril's Original Essence. I definitely would suggest Essence for anyone looking for seasoning. Goes great with about anything! Will bake zucchini and season with lemon pepper.

Grand Total 210/42/18/1108

Day 2 thoughts: Overall great day. Didn't feel hungry at all today. Had a good workout and I enjoyed how quickly I was in and out of the gym. (Even with doing 20 minutes light cardio.) Was able to get in about 4 liters of water today. Tried to get my carbs lower than what I had yesterday, but actually went over by 4 grams. Not too bad really, but I just want to make sure I follow the program as close as possible to the way Lyle laid it out.

That's about all I got for today and as always, I am open to ideas, suggestions, or meal ideas. On that note, bring on Day 3!

Take care everyone and God bless!
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:42 AM

Can't answer your protein question, I used the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart and then EAS from Costco. I used the shakes sparingly, but I also met my protein requirement sparingly as well.

Looks like your macros are spot on, by my count if you take out the "Veggie Carbs" you are at 25. So basically the only thing I see that you would be able to drop are salsa and FF cheese, but the enjoyment from those and raised quality of food you're eating is probably worth the 5-7 carbs they are adding. Believe me, if you stay close to "210/42/18/1108" for 12 weeks, the fat is going to melt off of you.

Also, if you have the time and patience I would suggest taking a picture every week, or at least every two. At our size the difference is noticeable even at those short intervals.

Keep up the good work, it is inspiring to see another Cat 3 at work!
Unread 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Day 3

JC,

Read your log and very impressive! Awesome progress! However, I had a quick question for you concerning the EC stack. Which one are you taking? I found some on the supplementstogo.com but just wanted to get an idea of what someone else was taking.

Day numero 3!

Thanks for the kind words JC and Gwena! I will definitely be keeping anyone interested updated on my progress. I feel that doing so makes me not only have to answer to myself, but those keeping up with my progress.

Here we go with Day 3!

Woke up this morning in a good mood. I know it has only been 2 days on the program, but I feel excited on the progress that lies ahead.

Here we go with day number 3:

Day 3 Protein/Carb/Fat/Calories

1 tbsp salsa 0/1/0/5

Total 24/5/0/125

Comments: Just wanted to keep breakfast simple this morning. The 1 tbsp of salsa was definitely enough to give the egg whites plenty of flavor.

Meal 2 10:15AM
6 oz chicken breast 33/0/5/180
1 packet frozen green beans 1/6/0/30

Total 34/6/5/210

Comments: I was super busy at work today and got in my second meal later than I wanted to. Strangely enough though I really didn't feel hungry. Same deal as yesterday, at leftover chicken breast from night before.

Meal 3 2:30PM

Total 51/9/5/285

Comments: I got this meal in late too because of how busy work was. I will have to try my best to get in the rest of my protein before I go to bed tonight. Shouldn't be a problem though.

No light cardio today cause of everything else being backed up in my day.

Meal 4 4:00PM (haven't had yet)
5 oz Tuna 35/0/2.5/70
1 tsp mustard 0/0/0/0
1 individual pack frozen broccoli 1/4/0/30

Total 36/4/2.5/100

Comments: Will squeeze this meal in before dinner.

10 - 4" fresh green beans 1/4/0/18 (breakdown per calorieking.com)

Total 43/4/6/258

Comments: Since worked backed everything up as far as my meals go, I will be spending time making sure I get my protein in for the day.

Grand Total 188/28/18.5/978

Day 3 thoughts: Did not reach my protein goal for the day, but I was only off by 3 grams so I think I will be alright. Work started busy and it was made worse by a guy acting like an A-hole! Oh well, some people just can't go through their day without making everyone around them miserable. But I believe I handled the situation well enough so it didn't affect my mood for the rest of the day. Will have my free meal tomorrow night since my wife and I will be taking my nieces to go see Christmas lights in the evening and we won't be at home. Looking forward to my free meal!

Unread 12-18-2009, 03:11 AM

Good Luck!
Unread 12-18-2009, 10:16 PM

Regarding the EC Stack:

For caffeine I get generic "Vivarin" from either CVS, Walgreens or Rite-Aid - it's approx 200 pills, 200mg of caffeine each for $6-8 dollars. Had trouble finding it at first because I am stupid, it is likely around the aspirin - if you can't find it, ask a clerk to point you to the "Vivarin" and then buy the cheap stuff beside it. Should last a hair over two months.

For ephedrine I get Bronkaid from Walgreens. CVS and Rite Aid also sell it, but in smaller quantities than Walgreens. 60 pills, 20 mg each for $13-15 dollars. Should last a little under a month (20 days to be exact).

I don't know what "everyone else" does for the caffeine, I suspect it is something similar but from what I've read nearly "everyone else" in the US uses Bronkaid (although I have read of some using Primatene).

Keep up the good work, nice job adjusting to your schedule.
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Default Day 7

Okay, back to my update. It has been a busy weekend with trying to get in all my Christmas shopping. Getting in all my protein was a little tough as I was out and about all day. Weekends will be a little bit tough for me (as I am sure it is for everyone else on this diet), but I think I will be able to handle the weekends better as long as I plan them out.

Since I missed logging the last three days, I'll just go ahead and update day 7.

Day 7 Protein/Carbs/Fat/Calories

1 cup Egg Beaters 24/4/0/120
12 slices deli meat 16/2/1/90

Total: 40/6/1/210

Comments: I bought a Sam's Club membership this weekend so I can stock up on some essentials. I found Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Smoked Turkey Breast deli meat that has only 8 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs, and .5 grams of fat per 6 slices. Definitely will liven up my breakfast from now on!

6 oz chicken breast 35/0/2.5/152
1/2 cup green beans 1/4/0/18

Total: 36/4/2.5/170

Comments: Still feels weird sometimes eating chicken breast with veggies so early in the morning, but I still enjoy it.

Meal 3 11:30AM

7 oz chicken breast 41/0/3/177
3 cups lettuce 2/3/0/20
2 tbsp vinaigrette 0/1/0/0

Comments: I'm glad I was able to locate the vinaigrette in the diabetic section of the grocery store. It definitely adds some much needed flavor to the lettuce.

Weight Training 1:00PM

Barbell Bench Press 3x10 155lbs
Barbell Military Press 3x10 95lbs
Lat Pulldowns 3x10 125lbs
Preacher curls 3x10 45lbs
Tricep Pushdowns 3x10 50lbs

20 minutes brisk walking

Comment: Found a Kroger brand sport drink mix that only contains 5 grams of carbs, so I sipped on that during my workout.

Postworkout:

Isopure Zerocarb (2 scoops) 50/0/1/210

Meal 4 4:00PM

2/3 canned chicken breast 24/0/3/140
1 tbsp mustard 0/0/0/0

Total: 24/0/3/140

Comments: Decided to have a little snack before dinner.

Meal 5 5:30PM

4 oz turkey breast 21/2/.5/100
2 cups frozen broccoli 2/8/0/60

Total: 23/10/.5/160

Comments: Haven't had this meal yet. Found the turkey breast while in the meat section. It was already seasoned, so I'm hoping this comes out good.

Grand Total: 216/29/8/947

Day 7 thoughts: Overall great day. After a rough weekend, it was good to get back to a more planned out day. It seems so much easier to plan everything when I have to work. Tomorrow morning I'll be weighing myself, so I can't wait! I'm curious to see what the scale says tomorrow!

As always, I'm open to all comments, suggestions, or any comments on the weather!

Unread 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Drum roll please......

Week 1 results:

Starting weight: 318lbs
Starting BF: 40%
Week 1 weight: 306lbs
Week 1 BF: 38%
Total weight loss: 12lbs
Total BF loss: 2% (Not sure how accurate since I used a Weight Watchers scale that also displays BF%)

Week 1 thoughts: I have to say that I am really happy with the results so far from week one. I already feel my pants fitting a little better and I am down to the last notch on my belt! Although I have been keeping the majority of my meals the same, I have not got tired of eating pretty much the same thing. The key for me has been using different seasoning to make it taste different each time. Overall, happy with week one progress and looking forward to continuing to drop some more!